Saturday, April 11, 2009

Calvary

Domenichino’s The Way To Calvary, painted c.1610.
(Note: artist depicts Jesus gazing directly at the viewers,
is said to have been to link them with his suffering.
To learn more about this Italian baroque painting, click here .)
*~ *~ *~ *~ *~ *~
*~ *~ *~

King of my life, I crown Thee now,
Thine shall the glory be;
Lest I forget Thy thorn crowned brow,
Lead me to Calvary.
-
Refrain
-
Lest I forget Gethsemane,
Lest I forget Thine agony;
Lest I forget Thy love for me,
Lead me to Calvary.
-
Show me the tomb where Thou wast laid,
Tenderly mourned and wept;
Angels in robes of light arrayed
Guarded Thee whilst Thou slept.
-
Refrain
-
Let me like Mary, through the gloom,
Come with a gift to Thee;
Show to me now the empty tomb,
Lead me to Calvary.
-
Refrain
-
May I be willing, Lord, to bear
Daily my cross for Thee;
Even Thy cup of grief to share,
Thou hast borne all for me.
-
Refrain .
~
~
** Words by: Jennie Hussey (1921) & Music by: William Kirkpatrick

No comments: